27 August 2013

Drama of the Week - The Master's Sun

»The Master's Sun | 주군의 태양«
In Korean dramas, directors and writers fall into trends. Historical, time travel, body switching medical... and ghosts. When I first read about this one, it didn't appeal to me until I saw the cast. Seo In Guk. Gong Hyo Jin. Those two were the deciding factors for me and funny enough, they're not even the reason I continued to watch.
I love the way this drama is put together! It is adorable, funny, dramatic and a bit thrilling (or scary to others... but I don't get scared so I just kind of feel a thrill when some of the very well acted ghosts show up), as well as visually stimulating. The cinematography of this one is just beautiful to look at. Including the ghosts. The chemistry between Gong Hyo Jin's character, Tae Gong Sil and So Ji Sub's character, Joo Joong Won is palpable. Tae Gong Sil can see ghosts and it actually frightens her until she meets Joo Joong Won. I love that the only reason she really wants to stay beside him is because his physical touch makes the ghosts disappear. So her romantic focus is on Seo In Guk's character Kang Woo. But with any drama, something sketchy is going on with him and 6 episodes in, I'm still unsure what/who he is.
[l-r in the pic: Tae Yi Ryung, Tae Gong Sil, Joo Joong Won, Kang Woo.]
Tae Yi Ryung's character is kind of witchy, but I can't help but like her. Even if the only reason she's around is to bring down Tae Gong Sil for a few reasons I won't spoil.
This drama is currently airing (every Wednesday and Thursday) and we are up to episode 6. I am watching another ghost drama, Who Are You, but between the two... this one is my favourite! Start this drama now!

Summary of the drama:
The Hong Sisters, famed romantic-comedy screenwriters, flirt with horror in this unique take on opposites. Joo Joong Won (So Ji Sub) is a rapacious CEO who is only concerned about money. His secretary, Tae Gong Sil (Gong Hyo Jin), is a dark and reticent insomniac who is burdened with the ability to see ghosts. Joong Won and Gong Sil are an unlikely duo in every regard, but they share one thing in common: they are both intensely crippled personalities that need a lot of help. Can the money hungry Joong Won recognize priorities beyond the dollar sign, and can the lonely Gong Sil ever live a life without fear? Together, strange as it may be, it’s possible in this unique dance between yin and yang.

If you'd like to watch too, and get totally hooked, check out these sites with English subtitles: Viki | Dramafever | Hulu

If you're enjoying this drama as well; please tell me what you think!! ^_^"


No comments

Post a Comment

Show a bit of love and let me know what you think! *HUGS* ^_^~

© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall