23 March 2012

Review: Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi

Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi
Published: March 8th, 2012
Acquired: NetGalley
Format: E-book
Overall:
Can true love survive the end of the world?

Imagine finding your first love, only to be ripped apart by the apocalypse. Peyton Anderson will never forget the day she was forced to make a choice--between her family--and Chris Parker, the boy she'd given her heart. Now, four years later, as she steps from the fallout shelter and into a dead and broken world, he's the only thing on her mind.
All Chris "Chase" Parker wanted was to take Peyton away and keep her safe from harm. But he waited for hours in the rain on judgment day and she never showed--breaking his heart without ever telling him why.

Now the two of them have been thrown together once again, reluctant chaperones to a group of orphan children in a post-apocalyptic world where the dead still walk...and feed. As they begin their pilgramage to the last human outpost on Earth, can they find a way to let go of old hurts and find the love they lost--all while attempting to save what's left of the human race?
My thoughts:
When I read the summary of this book on NetGalley, I thought it'd be a bit of a fluff dystopian. And though I wasn't 100% wrong about that, but it held more depth than I'd originally thought.

When I was reading this book I was constantly thinking about how much life would change by this time yet would still be the same. Like the fact that Peyton's mom's name was Ashley... I found it weird. To think there will be adult women named Ashley, Brittany, Jessica.... Etc.

The way Peyton ran into Chase as soon as the doors opened 4 years into the apocalypse was too convenient. I'd rather her go on her journey & run into him at WalMart or something. It'd be more realistic. (as realistic a book like this could be)

Chase's (Chris) obsession with Peyton wasn't /too/ creepy, but calling her his goddess was ridiculous. And I wondered what she'd say about it if she'd actually heard him say this.

I felt like the way they fell back in love could've been paced more. But at the same time, they're in a freaking apocalypse over run with zombies. There's not really any time to be picky & play hard to get.

Zombies. I am not a fan of them either. But, I actually enjoyed this book. Probably because there was more TALK of zombies than actual zombies.

The ending was a bit predictable, actually... The whole book was, but I was hoping for a little more oomph.
Though I didn't hate this book, I'm not sure I'd read the sequel if there is one.
She does have other books that I may give a chance sometime. Vampires, I like.


Plot:
Characters: ½
Ending:
Writing:
Cover:


_________________________________________


Author Info:
Mari Mancusi
used to wish she could become a vampire back in high school.
But she ended up in another blood sucking profession --journalism -- instead. Today she works as a freelance TV producer and author of books for teens and adults. When not writing about creatures of the night, Mari enjoys traveling, cooking, goth clubbing, watching cheesy horror movies, and her favorite guilty pleasure--videogames. A graduate of Boston University and a two time Emmy Award winner, she lives in Austin, Texas with her husband Jacob, daughter Avalon, and their dog Mesquite.
More on her: website | twitter | facebook | goodreads

No comments

Post a Comment

Show a bit of love and let me know what you think! *HUGS* ^_^~

© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall