23 July 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never sky by Veronica Rossi
Published: January 3rd, 2012 | HarperCollins
Format: Kindle
Genre: YA Dystopian
Overall: ½
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

My thoughts:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, dystopian books are not usually my cup of tea, but I absolutely loved this book. Maybe it was the Aether, living in pods in outer space, the names, the journey, the romance, the fight and drive of the characters... I don't know what it was, but I loved it.

Aria has been told her whole life that living on the "outside" would kill her but when she is kicked from the only home she knows, she's scared half to death and has no other option but to die... Until she realizes that she has two other options, fight and live. She meets Perry who she believes is the savage who caused her to lose her home and possibly her mother. Together they make the treacherous journey to a place that is said to hold the promise of answers for both of them. Where she can find her mother and he can find his nephew.

Every thing that happens along the way kept me on the edge of my seat and waiting for what would happen next, who or what would come along. I loved and adored the way Aria always stood up for herself, even though she'd never had to endure such physical demands of being on the outside. She learned how to use a bow and arrow quickly, was able to stretch her senses to their limit and found ways to tolerate Perry to possibly liking him.

Perry won me over,  I loved him, though I kept thinking how they both must stink incredibly. (I'm just that kind of person. lol.)

Aria was my kind of girl, a singer, a fighter, not taking shit from people. I adored her!

Along the way they meet a boy, Cinder (who proved to be useful), I personally was annoyed with him and wished they'd have left him behind. I may sound heartless but he reminded me of a little boy I knew who never spoke and just follows you around in an eerie way.

Once the duo make it to the place the believe will give them the answers they need, I felt the book kind slowed down for me.

The best parts was the romance and their ability to never lose sight of what their mission was, fighting.
I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Through the Ever Night, expected out in January of next year.

Plot:
Characters:
Ending: 
Writing:
Cover:

Author Info:
Veronica Rossi
was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Growing up, she lived in several countries and cities around the world, finally settling in Northern California with her husband and two sons. She completed undergraduate studies at UCLA and then went on to study fine art at the California College of the Arts in San Francisco. When not writing or painting, she chases after her boys, who make her laugh every day, and who teach her about love that's a million gazillion times bigger than the ocean. UNDER THE NEVER SKY is her first novel.
More on her: website | twitter | facebook | goodreads





No comments

Post a Comment

Show a bit of love and let me know what you think! *HUGS* ^_^~

© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall