27 June 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Resisting Her by Kendall Ryan

Resisting Her by Kendall Ryan

Published: April 15th, 2013
Genre: New Adult | Contemporary
Format: Kindle [mobi]

Overall:

goodreads | amazon

Summary: Agent Cole Fletcher lives for his job at the FBI, and he’s more than ready for his next assignment—raiding a cult compound and putting their leader behind bars. But he isn’t prepared for Savannah and her knock you on your ass good looks. At nineteen, she’s too old for foster care and too damaged to live on her own. With nowhere else to go, and against his better judgment Cole takes her in.

But helping her out won’t be easy. He comforts her through screaming nightmares and escaping the lingering fears of her past, but that’s the easy part. Her preference to sleep cuddled up next to his warm body, and her desire to please him in every way makes her harder and harder to resist.

Review:
From the beginning, this book felt like a story I would read on literotica, just with a bit more depth and better filler between the sex[y] scenes. But it's borderline smut... what do you expect? With that being said, this wasn't necessarily a poorly written book, it just didn't blow me away. And honestly, throughout the entire thing, I didn't see when/what/why they were so drawn together. More on her part than his.

She is a girl who never got to experience any sort of normal life outside of the compound she was trapped in, and when she gets to stay with someone new it's different, and she latched on. I felt like he took advantage of her from the beginning, her vulnerability; and he states that, numerous times, so he knows too, but it doesn't stop him.

Savannah's supposed to be this 19 year old girl who is virginal, and saintly, and innocent in all aspects of the word, but is way too comfortable climbing into Cole's lap any time she feels threatened. Because that's what you do right? You, as a 19 yr old girl--having no experience around men--climb into the lap of a 28 yr old man, whom you do not know, because he could possibly be trustworthy. Honey.... the thoughts  in his head are not of the "let me protect you against all evil, including myself," variety.
I was waiting for the moment when a lightbulb would go off and she'd think "I want to experience what it's like to be a young adult just entering her 20s. I want to go to school, move out on my own, meet people, and just live." No. No... it's all about Cole. He's there so she basically worships him, and takes care of him, cooking every day, cleaning, snuggling up to him in his bed every night and every great once in awhile she'll remember "hey... I think I may be my own person.".... And then she looks at Cole and poof, she is his to do what he will... if he just would.

Now don't get me wrong, this book wasn't all bad. As obvious by my 3 star rating. There were moments when I enjoyed seeing them together. And that he suggested she get a job that fit what she knew how to do (working in a daycare, taking care of other people, surprise), getting her a dog so she can sort of put her energy and smothering on something else.
Though I did cringe at the sex scenes a bit (read above), they were well written. So there's that.

I would like to read more from Kendall Ryan. Hopefully with a relationship that seems like both sides are completely engaged in.



Plot:
Characters:
Ending:
Cover: (that guy on the cover is not cute. I pictured Ryan Paevey)
Writing: ½




No comments

Post a Comment

Show a bit of love and let me know what you think! *HUGS* ^_^~

© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall