22 September 2010

Review: "Sea" by Heidi R. Kling

Sea by Heidi R. Kling

Released: June 10th, 2010
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Age: Young Adult
Pages: 336
Overall:
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author | The Story Siren
Acquired: Library

Review: First of all, how serene is that cover? I love it!

I don't think I anticipated this book too much in the Debut Author Challenge--not because be the summary wasn't appealing, but because after looking at all the other Debut Authors, this one didn't stand out.
But it was by far one of the best books I've read this year! And definitely in my top five for the Debut Challenge thus far.

Sienna has lost her mother to the Indian Ocean and though it's been nearly five years--it's still extremely hard for her. Never stepping back into the sea, and deathly afraid of flying; the last present she expected or wanted was a trip to Indonesia to join her father in helping the victims of the 2004 Tsunami. Leaving her best friends from home--one she may (unknowingly) be developing feelings for just doesn't add up to be the best birthday!

After a horrendous flight consisting of nightmares(that never seem to cease), frightening turbulence and of course vomiting on her orange Converse...the children's orphanage should've been the cherry on the spoiled ice cream sundae.
And it looks that way
Until she meets Deni.
The gorgeous guy with striking eyes, a small limp, heavy accent who just so happens to speak fluent English...a perfect recipe for disaster. But the good kind of disaster!

I loved and adored Deni from beginning to end! And one of the orphans--Elli.
From excited sneak-outs on the motor, trying new foods and being comfortable with someone you've just met, the connection between Sienna and Deni is palpable.

I read this book in about a day, so the budding relationship seemed a little quick, but I never stopped rooting for them.

But Spider--friend from home--was always in the back of my mind. I liked him. Though he wasn't in the book enough to really get to know him, he had potential and my heart was torn...can't imagine how Sienna felt (we never really got much about him while in Indonesia). He just screamed "possibility".

I haven't read a book this quickly in a long time, so that's a sign that I thouroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. And surprisingly loved the ending. I would absolutely love a sequel to this book, but it isn't necessary.
If you haven't already, read this book! I cannot wait for more from Heidi R. Kling!!

Author: Twitter |  Website

Memorable quote: "Dawn is not for a while," he said, "and no one can see us in the dark."


Plot:
Characters:
Ending:
Writing:
Cover:
© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall