14 January 2013

REVIEW: Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst

Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst
Published: September 11th, 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Format: Hardcover
Goodreads | Amazon | Author
Liyana has trained her entire life to be the vessel of a goddess. She will dance and summon her tribe's deity, who will inhabit Liyana's body and use magic to bring rain to the desert. But when the dance ends, Liyana is still there. Her tribe is furious--and sure that it is Liyana's fault. Abandoned by her tribe, Liyana expects to die in the desert. Until a boy walks out of the dust in search of her.
Korbyn is a god inside his vessel, and a trickster god at that. He tells Liyana that five other gods are missing, and they set off across the desert in search of the other vessels. The desert tribes cannot survive without the magic of their gods. But the journey is dangerous, even with a god’s help. And not everyone is willing to believe the trickster god’s tale.
The closer she grows to Korbyn, the less Liyana wants to disappear to make way for her goddess. But she has no choice--she must die for her tribe to live. Unless a trickster god can help her to trick fate--or a human girl can muster some magic of her own.

My Thoughts:
This book started off promising and somewhere through the middle of it I slowly began losing interest.
However, this is not because the book wasn't good; it was simply because this isn't my type of genre. If this were in movie form, I'm sure it would be a favourite I'd watch over and over!
While reading, I thought that it'd be an awesome book to turn into a realistic anime style movie. The imagery portrayed in this book deserves to be showed through the best  way possible if it were to be a movie. And I feel that CGI or any computer generated images for the sake of an actor who is placed in front of a green screen would just not do it.

But that has nothing to do with the book.

I loved Liyana's fighting spirit who kept pushing forward to find her goddess no matter the crazy things they encountered.

When I was about 100 pages from the end, I read the last chapter and prologue and was surprised by the ending. That was not where I saw the book going. But it wasn't enough for me to finish the parts I had skipped over.

If you like high fantasy that needs a very visual brain, you'll love this. It is not romantic driven, but it can be sweet and sexy at times!

Even though I didn't finish it, I still give it 3 stars [or owls].


No comments

Post a Comment

Show a bit of love and let me know what you think! *HUGS* ^_^~

© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall