03 August 2010

Review: "Devoured" by: Amanda Marrone

Devoured by: Amanda Marrone
______________________
Released: September 22nd, 2009
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Age: Young Adult
Pages: 304
Overall:
Recommend Level: Medium.
Summary: Megan’s twin sister Remy died in an accident nine years ago, and she’s been haunting her ever since. Knowing how crazy that sounds, Megan keeps this secret to herself and tries to lead a normal life. But when she takes a summer job at Land of Enchantment to keep an eye on her new boyfriend and his lovesick best friend, Samantha, she meets fellow employee Luke who can see Remy, too. Things get even twistier because Megan’s new friend Ari is sporting a massive crush on Luke, who seems to be developing a massive crush on Megan…making for a love triangle that’s positively possessed.

Megan wants to keep her distance from Luke, but when Remy’s visions get crazy violent; she knows she needs his help. Because someone’s definitely in danger...the only question is who?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Review: This review is way overdue. I finished this book awhile ago, but I didn't really know how to put how I felt about it into words...or text. So I'm just going to ramble; hope it makes sense...
I have read another book by Amanda Marrone called Uninvited, which I did not like. At. All. The book was one of the most tedious, boring & drawn out books I have ever read! How I got through it is anyone's guess. But the good thing that came out of it was inspiration for a book that I'm working on.

The summary for Devoured makes it sound like it has a lot more depth than it does. But honestly, I felt like the surface of the book was barely scratched. I didn't know or care to know any of the characters. Anytime we were supposed to feel scared or sad or mad or whatever emotion the narrator, Megan, was feeling I couldn't even conjure up half of that emotion. I didn't know her boyfriend, so I didn't know if I should feel sorry for him or say good riddance when she ended things. (spoiler, sorry.) And Luke, honestly...the guy's a weirdo.

And then there's Remy, I loved any time that she was in the book and I actually wished she was in the book at certain parts because of how dry the book was.

The actual plot is almost laughable, taking a "spin" on Snow White, and I was wanting to read the original Snow White and watch the movie just for a way to feel that literature is still alive.

At the end when things go from bad to worse, I almost felt like Megan didn't care. When she sees...someone...with a hole in her chest, dead, I thought I'd get some emotion, but no...and I wasn't shocked either.
This book was like a made for TV movie with the bad actors who don't quite understand how to depict emotion. Like one you'd see on SyFy...honestly, I could see this on SyFy...and I would watch!
Okay, enough about the bad....

I did like Luke, even though he was weird and I liked any part of the book he was in. I loved Ari's character even at the end. Nikki, Megan's best friend, didn't get enough light either, but she was the honest trusting best friend you want in life. And then there's Megan. Even though I couldn't relate to her--in any way--I liked her. She was someone who, even though she didn't like someone, she gave them a chance, yet she spoke her mind when necessary. I felt like she was a real person...in what she did. Not so much in the emotional department. Though it seemed the only time she had emotions was when she was with Luke.

The reason I rated it 3 stars was because I did like it, I enjoyed getting to know the characters with what little we found out. And I enjoyed the ending. Marrone's writing style is good, I just wish it had more depth.

I haven't given up on Amanda Marrone books, I will read her book Revealers sometime and hopefully have better results.

(A part of me hopes Amanda Marrone never reads this review!! lol.)



Plot:
Characters:
Ending:
Writing:
Cover: (love, love, love this cover!!)
© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall