24 August 2010

Review: "Heavenly" by: Jennifer Laurens

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

Released: August 15th, 2009
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Age: Young Adult
Pages: 296
Overall:
Acquired: Won from the author, Jennifer Laurens.
Summary: I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. Zoë's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoë lost in her broken life. Zoë escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoë's autistic sister. After Zoë is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.


Review: First, I have to say that Jennifer Laurens is probably the nicest author—ever. (I will be doing an interview and giveaway with her soon, so stay tuned.)
Even though I am an atheist (one who doesn’t believe there is a god or “otherworldly” being) I do not judge a book by its contents or what the main subject is about. And Heavenly sounded like a really interesting book, so I was excited to win it (especially a signed copy—along with its sequel, Penitence).

Zoe is a senior in high school who may have an addiction to alcohol, the attention of boys, an autistic little sister and a brother who is a pothead and all is a huge burden she carries around with her.

Then she meets her sister, Abria’s, guardian angel Matthias. Of course, she doesn’t yet know the he is an actual angel, sent from heaven to look over her unpredictable sister. She darts through cars and reacts before anyone else can think.

It is quite obvious that the connection between Zoe and Matthias is immediate and imminent. And the attraction Zoe feels for Matthias is well expressed on page.

I loved Zoe’s independence and that she didn’t care too much of what others thought about her (to some degree) but she still had a big heart and just wanted the people she loved to be happy. Even if she wasn’t winning in the end. Of course, as a human, she had the selfish thoughts that if her brother would stop smoking pot and if her sister weren’t autistic her life would be easier.

I will say that I was a little upset with the ending, not in a “oh my gosh, did that really happen” kind of way, just the “well, isn’t there another option…I think there could’ve been another option.”

I did read the preview to Penitence and was confused, as was most likely the point.
I have a few books lined up to read, but I’m definitely reading Penitence soon.
I found myself emotional in some parts, even felt the sting of tears threatening to appear….didn’t actually cry…but there was some sniffling.

I can’t wait to read more titles by Jennifer. Check out her blog: http://jenniferlaurens.blogspot.com/

Plot:
Characters:
Ending:
Writing:
Cover:
© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall