19 July 2010

Review: "I Now Pronounce You Someone Else" by: Erin McCahan

I Now Pronounce You Someone Else
by: Erin McCahan

     _________ 
Released: June 1st, 2010
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Age: Young Adult
Pages: 258
Overall:
Recommend Level: Med-high.
Challenge: 2010 Debut Author (The Story Siren)
Summary:Seventeen-year-old Bronwen Oliver doesn't just want a family. She has one of those, and there's nothing terribly wrong with them apart from bickering grandparents, an image-obsessed mother and a brother she describes simply as Jesus. But there's no natural sense of connection between Bronwen and her family, leaving her with the belief -- and the hope -- that she was switched at birth, that she was never supposed to be Bronwen Oliver but someone else entirely.

When she begins dating college senior Jared Sondervan, she finds herself thoroughly embraced by the loving family she has always wanted and does not hesitate to say yes when Jared proposes on her 18th birhday. Plans for the Perfect Beach Wedding before her junior year of college become plans for the Perfect Beach Wedding before her freshman year of college. And a wedding so soon isn't exactly what Bronwen wants. But Jared is. And his family is. Or so she thinks.

Before Bronwen can determine what she truly wants, she must first determine who she truly is, and the answer, she discovers, is only partially what she thought it was. She wasn't switched at birth, but she's also not Bronwen Oliver and hasn't been for a very long time.


--------------------------------------------------------------
Review: From page one the book was fast paced. You immediately knew who Bronwen was....or wanted to be. But as the book progressed you felt just as lost as she did, rushed and like nothing was slowing down. But I guess when you're engaged to get married at eighteen to your boyfriend of a few months...things can feel like the world is spinning just a bit too fast.
At the beginning I loved Jared. He was sweet and knew how fast Bronwen and his relationship should go--until he "pops the question". You just know something bad is going to happen eventually. As the story continued I was actually getting irritated with Jared. He was obviously much more mature in his self and life, and Bronwen's was just starting that. The thing you fear would get in the way was actually what you hoped he would realize. Jared is the kind of guy you like but you hate to tell your friend that she may need some space from. But you can't. (Been there, many a'times.) 
The whole thing with Bronwen calling herself Phoebe Lillywhite I completely understand, her mother and her are quite different. And I loved seeing Bronwen grow up and see that she can be who she was born as and still be her mother's daughter. 
I won't lie, towards the end with the conversation with her step-dad I got a little emotional. And again towards the end when...I started missing and liking Jared again.
The way the book ended had just enough open endedness to make you wonder what'll happen but enough closure to let you know that whatever does happen, it'll be alright. For them all.
I honestly hope I never get in Bronwen's position. And if I do, I hope that I'm read...and know I'm ready.
A couple things that did annoy me was the font. I know...font, it wasn't your basic Times or something similar & it made feel...younger...don't ask. I'm a confusing person. :)
Another thing is the fact that towards the middle it was so fast paced, it's like you could literally feel yourself gasping for breath because everything was just going, going, going, and not slowing down. But then again...she was 18, graduating, about to go to college and getting married in a few months.  Yeah, I'd be overwhelmed as well.
I can't wait to read more from Erin McCahan & I hope they're as light but different as this one! 


Plot:
Characters:
Ending:
Writing:
Cover:
© Iridescent Lotus
Maira Gall